As the digital marketing community descended on Brighton for the eponymously named SEO conference, industry leaders shared their secrets for digital marketing success. Here are some of our highlights from the day:
Digital PR: How to evaluate digital news hooks
When looking at digital PR, links are not our number one focus. Instead, we look at the critical piece of newsworthy information that will capture the attention and interest of both the news media and their audiences. For that, we need to evaluate news hooks in five steps:
- Timeliness : Try to tie your news hook to an actual event (e.g. awareness days and seasonal events).
- Credibility : Can you get a third party expert to back up your story? Is the data you showcase proven to be true?
- Prospecting : Create outreach lists relevant to your content. Be realistic when creating an outreach list, but always tend to go for the ‘golden websites’.
- Tension : Does your news story prove or disprove another story that has broken in the media? Does it add a new dimension to a debated topic?
- Different : Has it been done before? How is it different to anything else out there?
Voice search: A user-driven change
According to comScore, “50% of all searches will be voice searches by 2020”. This calls for businesses to learn new ways to be relevant. Below are some tactics to ensure you’re competitive in voice search:
- Keep keyword research focused on long-tail, conversational queries
- Build comprehensive answers to user anticipated questions
- Mark-up your content with schema to help the search engines better understand
- Make sure your entire website is accessible and has a tidy, organised URL structure
- Make sure your site is mobile friendly
- Serve the site over SSL (HTTPS)
- Moz analysis doesn’t include JS backlinks (too expensive), and indexing only goes one page deep with JS.
- There is a shift toward Progressive Web Apps (PWAs), with Microsoft App Store including the best ones on its platform.
All Response Media Viewpoint
BrightonSEO is always a fantastic team experience; a chance to meet like-minded individuals and learn from some of the most experienced professionals in the industry. All the major players and companies in search attend, showcasing the freshest SEO tactics and latest technology to drive organic performance. It is one of many ways we ensure that we remian at the cutting edge of the industry and are at the forefront of the ever-changing landscape.